I blogged about the whole experience with my daughter in detail on my personal blog. This was pre-Naptime Tales and I wanted to get this all down for my friends that had no kids or just tiny babies at the time. I also wanted to record ever excruciating detail for my daughter so that she could look back and laugh when she starts potty training HER babies.
For some reason I thought I’d go back and read it…like it would all be made funny after a few years had passed. I’ll admit it was kind of funny…but I am silently crying inside knowing that I’m going to do this again.
experience. If you haven’t potty trained these probably won’t make you laugh. But if you have been there and done that…read on and laugh my friends!
1. If I would have known that potty training would interfere with nap time, I would have waited until you were 5 to start.
2. You must own at least 25 pairs of underwear if you are going cold turkey like we did.
3. Socks can soak up A LOT of pee.
4. Pull-ups are not that absorbent and are not to be used as back ups in the car.
5. Your car seat comes apart and you can wash everything from the cover to the padding in the washer.
6. It takes 24 hours for padding from car seat to dry…you won’t be leaving anytime soon after #4.
7. The word “potty” sounds a lot like “pirate”.
8. Use a potty doll and practice for a few days “training” the doll
before you get started. Use water for pee, and chocolate chips for poop.
9. Don’t leave chocolate chips in the potty, dogs will get them.
10. Having your carpets professionally cleaned is expensive, just buy a carpet cleaner and clean up messes as you go.
11. Apple juice goes though a toddler in 3 minutes and 46 seconds.
12. I can read “Apples on Top” 5 times in a row…if you aren’t ready to poop on the potty, you aren’t going to go.
13. Finding Nemo is a LIFE saver when you are trying to get a toddler to sit still on the potty for the first few days.
14. You will know where EVERY. SINGLE. BATHROOM. in the city is located and
that it takes 1 minute, 23 seconds to get to the Mejier bathroom from
the back of the store. Or 4 minutes if I let you walk.
15. Automatic (“loud”) potties were invented people that do not have children.
16. No matter how much pee you are covered in, no matter how many times
you have to wash that 25 pairs of underwear, through all the screaming
and tears, packages of Oreos and episodes of Wow Wow Wubbzy…I promise
you that BOTH of you will get through this, but your life will never be