It is FITNESS week here at Naptime Tales.
This week we are going to talk about getting back into the gym, finding time to workout, and making healthy choices. We published a few blog posts on working out here and here.
Getting back into shape post-baby is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding journeys I have signed myself up for…..a marathon may be a better term.
I started both of my pregnancies a little heavier than my “normal” body weight, and then I gained close to 50lbs to add on top of it. I was big.
I couldn’t find a picture of myself that topped this one of Ashley B…but basically we were in the same boat:
So, unless you are a freak of nature and bounce right back to your pre-pregnancy body (I am crazy jealous of these people!), it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to start feeling good about yourself again.
Facts about your body post-baby:
- Your boobs are the size of watermelons, so squeezing them into a sports bra is not hot.
- Your boobs may hit your chin as you are doing jumping jacks.
- A strange wet circle may appear on your shirt….and it isn’t sweat. You may have just leaked in the middle of your aerobics class.
- You belly literally feels like a bowl full of jelly.
- Your butt hits your back as you are on the elliptical or running.
- Your thighs get rashes from rubbing against each other as you power walk.
- Oops…not only do you have leakage from your breasts, you may also pee yourself from jumping around.
And as the months go on, it does gets better. The new truth about your post-baby bod:
- You wish you loved your watermelon-sized boobs more because now they are sagging bananas.
- You have to wear a push up bra UNDER your sports bra to keep yourself from looking like an 80 year woman with saggy boobs.
- You STILL have extra skin on your tummy and for the first time of your life you will purchase pants that hike up to your belly button to keep it tucked in.
- You suddenly have cellulite.
- One arm is much more toned than the other because you carry your kids around all day.
awww, but it was SO worth it!
Eventually you want to re-claim your body as your own and be comfortable in your own skin. The only way to do this is to make healthy choices and carving out time in your day for YOU. It is a life-style choice I choose to be a part of after having my second child.
Here I am 2 months post-pardom on our way to the Lady Gaga concert. I remember feeling so uncomfortable. I bought a pair of spanks to suck me in…except it gave me the worst stomach pains. And check out my rack…holy large boobs!
I didn’t want to feel sluggish anymore. I wanted to have energy to keep up with my children and to be perfectly honest…I was OVER those stupid spanks and I really wanted to fit into my favorite jeans again!! (Which seemed like a goal SO far away since I couldn’t get them past mid-thigh.) To read more about the start to my fitness journey, click here.
SO, you just have to ask yourself:
Are you are ready??
Lets do it!!
Tomorrow we will post some of our favorite workouts and how we carve time out in the day to take make it happen.