I never want to be THAT Mom in a restaurant. The one who’s kids are running around screaming, throwing things off the table, crying because Applebees won’t turn Dora on over the football game…but it happens to the best of us. Kids are unpredictable so I try to be prepared when I go to places like the grocery store or out to eat. Here are a few things I do to keep my little monsters in check:
– Ask for crackers and kid’s food be be brought out asap.
– Bring crayons and paper with you in case the restaurant doesn’t have kids menus.
– Party packs of Playdoh are a life saver! Just put a couple of the mini containers of Playdoh in your purse for lots of fun. They are so cheap that you don’t even feel bad pitching them if you don’t want to pack it back up…or better yet, leaving it for another family to enjoy!
– Play I Spy. This can be a learning game as well…go over colors, shapes, etc.
– Dollar stores are a great place to find cheap, small toys that kids go crazy over. My daughter’s favorite restaurant toy is this pack of plastic lizards I bought on a whim.
In moments of desperation we’ve also counted/organized sugar packets, played with our iPhones and used ice cream as a bribe.
What do you do to to keep your kids busy when you go out to eat?