Kids all develop at different paces. Some children may be more developed or advanced in one area, such as their gross motor skills, but behind in their sensory and speech development.
Developmental Skills are categorized in five major areas: emotional and social development, language development, sensory and motor development.
- By the time your ‘baby’ reaches 18 months, they are starting to no longer look like a baby. ~awe~ They are really starting to look more like a little boy/girl. Their chubby little legs and face is leaning out due to their physical activity.
- Teeth. Teeth. Teeth. Your child will start to get their molars and canine teeth.
- Transition to one nap a day. Your child will still need to get a total of 13-14 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.
Cognitive Development–thinking and reasoning:
- Developed a sense of self. They have the ability to see themselves separate from anyone else. They start to becoming clingy to parents and fearful of strangers.
- Can find an object after moved from one place to another.
- Starting to play ‘pretend’. Your toddler may pretend to drink out of a glass. Or give their teddy bear of a bottle. By 24 months, your child may go through the whole process of getting baby doll ready for bed.
- Point to body parts when asked, “where is your nose?”
Social and Emotional Development:
- Understand about 10 times more than they can verbalize.
- Know the names of some body parts, people, and objects. When given a book, they can point to objects when asked.
- Use their own language to communicate that is a mix of made of words and real, understandable words.
- Follow two step directions such as, “Go get your teddy bear. Bring it here.”
Social and Motor Development:
- Should be able to go from the crawling position to standing without holding onto anything.
- Walk by themselves.
- Hold a cup by themselves.
- Have a coordinated hand/wrist movement called “Palmar grasp” that allows them to hold a spoon and put it in their mouth.
- Enjoys pushing buttons (not just moms), turning knobs, and moving handles.
- Can stack 4 blocks.