I used to love traveling. Long car rides to just look out the window and listen to music, new destinations to explore and air travel was fun and exciting. Then I had a baby. Car rides longer than 15 minutes turned into scream sessions, new destinations turned into “will they have changing tables?” and air travel turned into packing an entire household into 4 bags.
– Bring your carseat. Some people prefer to rent a carseat but did you know it is free to check carseats with most airlines? Bonus- wrap your carseat in a few large blankets then throw it in a check bag like this one
($13 on Amazon). Not only will your baby have the carseat that he/she is used to but now you’ll have some extra blankets for your trip.
– Plan on making frequent stops. This is more of a mental thing but just prepare yourself for the fact that traveling with a baby takes longer.
General Tips for Any Travel:
– Bring your own sheets for baby. Figure out what you will have available to baby at your destination (pack and play vs crib vs portable crib…) and bring the appropriate sheets. Most places don’t have sheets to fit and this can pose a hazard for baby.
– Look into equipment rental companies at your destination to rent things like pack and plays, jumpers, high chairs..etc. Baby Equipment Rentals is a good place to start.
– Look into grocery services or even Diapers.com for anything you may need at destination. You can shop at home before you leave and have everything you need delivered upon your arrival. Talk about a time saver and believe it or not, can be cheaper than actually going out while you are on vacation.
Anyone else have tips for traveling with a baby?