There is no guilt like Mommy guilt. That feeling that you get when you drop baby off to go to work, go on a date with your hubby or *gasp* leave baby overnight for some time away. You end up crying inside for the first 10 minutes, thinking about baby the whole time and then rushing home to make sure things are OK. Crazy? Yes. Necessary? No way!
Nothing I can say in the post will make Mommy guilt go away, but I can make you feel better! Every Momma goes through this at some point, here are some points that will make you feel better:
– Do NOT feel guilty for working. It doesn’t matter if you work because you have to or want to, work full time or part time…you should NEVER feel guilty for having a job. You are providing income for your family, getting time out of the home for yourself and are providing a great example for your children. Working Moms are Super Women and have just as much of an impact on their child’s lives as stay at home Moms (no matter what anyone else might say!!!).
– It’s OK to do something for yourself. Moms NEED time away from their kids. When Mom is happy, everyone is happy. Do something for yourself every once in awhile. For ideas take a look at our “Give Yourself A Break” post.
– Babysitters and daycare are healthy for your kids! Not only do you need a break from your kids…but your kids need a break from you. It is great for children to interact with other adults or kids. Isn’t it weird how your child can turn into a complete angel when the babysitter comes over?
– Your relationships will thank you. Spend some time alone with your hubby or go out for a girl’s night. You’ll feel like an adult for a few hours and get caught up with life.
– It’s OK to hire a sitter or leave baby with your husband to run some errands. You will get things done a billion times faster than if you took baby with you, you’ll have far less stress and let’s face it, crossing off things on your to do list feels SO good. For me, going to the store without my daughter is more therapeutic than a pedicure.
Remember, feeling guilty is normal and every Mom goes through it. Work through the guilt to have some time to do something for YOU! And before you know it…you’ll be feeling like this: